Ingredients: Instructions: This vegan version of Tofu Tifatfa is packed with flavor and has a satisfying texture. It’s a great...
Vegan butternut squash stuffed shells
Here’s a recipe for vegan butternut squash stuffed shells:
For the butternut squash filling:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional, for a cheesy flavor)
For the stuffed shells:
- 20-24 jumbo pasta shells (about half a box)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup marinara sauce (look for a vegan option)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the cubed butternut squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and dried sage. Toss to coat the squash evenly.
- Roast the butternut squash in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until it is tender and lightly caramelized.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the jumbo pasta shells according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the chopped baby spinach to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until wilted.
- Transfer the roasted butternut squash to a blender or food processor. Add the sautéed onion, garlic, and spinach to the blender as well. Blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in the nutritional yeast if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Stuff each cooked jumbo pasta shell with a spoonful of the butternut squash filling and place them in the baking dish.
- Once all the shells are filled, pour the remaining marinara sauce over the shells.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the shells are heated through.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to lightly brown the tops.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves before serving.
Enjoy your delicious vegan butternut squash stuffed shells! Serve them as a main course with a side salad or steamed vegetables.